Having a family health insurance plan ensures that you and your loved ones are covered in the event of a need for medical care. With spiraling healthcare service expenses, securing your family with a family health plan is vital to access quality healthcare services. However, there are several health plans, and depending on your family’s specific healthcare needs and budget, you must select the plan that offers you the most benefits.
This blog offers details about the health insurance plans for families in California and how much you may have to pay for monthly premiums as a policyholder.
Health Insurance Plans for a Family in California
The health insurance plans for families in California are based on two criteria:
- Metal TiersIn California, health insurance plans are sold in four categories, which determines how you and your plan split your healthcare expenses. The categories are:
All these plans comply with the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. They provide coverage for the same essential health benefits; each plan has a maximum out-of-pocket limit. They differ in premiums, deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance amounts. The actuarial value of the metallic category determines how much the health plan category will pay. The plan pays less for the bronze and silver categories than it does for gold and platinum.
- Network of Healthcare ServicesEach plan offers its network of healthcare services and providers, and you can select one that suits your needs and budget.
- Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs)It is a more expensive medical plan but offers you higher flexibility. In it, you have a more comprehensive network of physicians and services that you can access. Also, you don’t need the referral of your primary care physician to consult a specialist outside the network though it may cost you more.
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)This is a more affordable plan than other plans but has a smaller network size. Also, you can access medical care and services only within the given network, and you need a referral from your primary care health provider to consult a specialist.
- Exclusive Provider Organizations (EPOs)This plan effectively combines the features of the plans mentioned above. Pricewise, too, it’s placed between PPOs and HMOs. While it has a more extensive network than HMOs, it doesn’t offer out-of-network benefits like PPOs.
Monthly Expense for a Health Insurance Plan for a Family in California
Insurance providers offer additional quotes for family health plans depending on their estimation methods. However, how much you need to pay each month for a health insurance plan for your family is determined by several other factors, such as:
- The health plan you select
- Number of family members included in the health plan
- Age of each family member
- Your income
- Area of residence
Secure Your Loved Ones with Udell Insurance!
Covering your loved ones with a comprehensive health insurance plan can be your best gift for them. At Udell Family Insurance, we understand your concerns and help you select a family health insurance plan based on your unique needs and budget. Contact us today for more details.