How do you prepare for something that is unpredictable & unstoppable?
Not one single person on the planet can tell you when or where the next earthquake will strike. The best seismologists can do is give us a prediction based on past evidence and patterns within the area—which are fairly reliable because Earth tends to stick to patterns. Being prepared is the best protection against coming to harm for the next earthquake.
(Side note: If you live in the LA area, the prediction is that a magnitude 5+ earthquake will strike by April 2018!)
Building your action plan:
- Plan an emergency communication plan in case cellphone towers are destroyed.
- Store first-aid kits anywhere you spend a lot of time (e.g., car, house, work).
- Talk to your friends and family about meeting at a certain location, should you get separated.
- Locate the safe place in every room of your house.
- Store batteries, water, flashlights in case of outages.
There’s one more thing you can do to protect yourself from the effects of an earthquake, and that’s getting insured. Having the right earthquake insurance will help to ensure you are covered in case of any damage after the next quake. Contact the independent insurance professionals at Udell Family insurance in Westlake Village, California for all of your earthquake coverage needs.