loader

Everything You Need to Know About Wildfire Insurance in California

Oct 26, 2022

Homeowners Insurance

Everything You Need to Know About Wildfire Insurance in California

Several states in the U.S., including California, are at a high risk of wildfire. Around 4.5 million U.S. homes are at high or extreme risk from wildfires which also includes over 2 million in California alone. The risk of wildfire is rapidly increasing with every passing year.

When the risk is high, it is better to be safe than sorry. If you live in California, protect your home by getting wildfire insurance. Keep reading this article to learn everything about wildfire insurance in California.

Causes of California Wildfires?

According to the U.S. Department of Interior, 90% of wildfires are caused by humans, and the remaining 10% are caused by natural disasters like lightning and lava.

Some of the common causes that lead to California Wildfire are

  • Unattended Campfires
  • Discarded Cigarettes
  • Debris Burns
  • Equipment Malfunction

Will Wildfires Be Covered Under Home Insurance?

Yes, wildfires are covered under a Homeowners Insurance policy as wildfires come under the damage caused by fire. However, every homeowners insurance policy has different coverage plans. You can check with Udell Family Insurance to get more details about their home insurance policy.

A good home insurance policy provides dwelling coverage, detached structure coverage, personal property coverage, and living expenses for dislocation.

Does Condo Insurance Cover Wildfire Damage?

Condo Insurance policies do cover wildfire damage. The only condition is that the exterior of the condo should be covered. Several condo insurance policies provide different coverage options for their policy owners. These Homeowners Insurance policies provide personal property coverage, interior walls coverage, exterior walls coverage, and living expenses coverage for wildfire damages.

Ways to Get Insurance in Common Wildfire Areas

Insurance companies tend to avoid providing insurance in areas with higher risk. But there are still some companies that provide home insurance for Common wildfire areas.

Homeowners insurance by Udell Family insurance is designed to protect the home as well as the personal belongings of the owner that was damaged during wildfires. Depending upon your requirements, we have homeowners insurance policies that can be configured to either cover the replacement value of the home or the market value.

Another way to insure your home is to get The FAIR Plan. The Fair Access to Insurance Requirements (FAIR) Plan is a state-mandated program that offers access to insurance for individuals living in wildfire-prone areas of California. But this plan has certain requirements, and individuals can only apply for this if they have been denied by most insurance agencies. The FAIR plan is expensive and has limited coverage options.

Getting a FAIR plan should be your last option. You can check with Udell Family Insurance to get the best homeowners insurance.

Practices That Can Help You to Prevent Wildfire Damage

Getting insurance is very important, but it is also important to take measures to prevent wildfire damage. Follow the given steps to prevent wildfire damage.

  • Make a defensible space of concrete and gravel on your property.
  • Get a Class A fire-rating roof for your home
  • Enclose your foundation
  • Trim your trees regularly
  • Remove debris, leaves, twigs, etc., from your yard, roof, and gutters.

Udell Family Insurance Can Help You with Wildfire Coverage!

Living in a high-risk area like California will always keep you worried about your safety. Getting insured for wildfire will secure you in stressful situations. We at Udell Family Insurance understand your needs and customize our services according to your needs. Contact us today or visit our office at Westlake Village for more information.

Call Us contact us