Earthquakes are natural disasters that come whenever they please, and there isn’t anything we can do to stop them.
Earthquakes are caused by a shift in the tectonic plates that cover the entire surface of the Earth. When they bump into each other, the energy associated is so mind-blowingly huge that the earth shakes—this is known as seismic energy. The worst part about earthquakes is that no one can know exactly when they are going to happen; their lack of warning is what makes them so dangerous. Everyone is going about their normal day when disaster strikes. Just because you don’t know when they’re going to happen doesn’t mean that you can’t prepare for them. Know what you should do to prepare before an earthquake strikes.
Identity Safe Places Around Your Home
- Ideally, you’d like to be out in the open away from houses, buildings, trees . . . anything that has the ability to fall on you.
- If you can’t get outside, plan to get under sturdy furniture like a heavy desk or table.
- Alternatively, teach your family to stand against an inside wall.
Make Sure Your Home Is Protected
- Fasten shelves and anything that hangs on walls securely.
- Place your heavy items low to the ground to avoid anything falling on you.
- Repair and update your electrical wiring and gas connections. These are potential fire risks should they malfunction during the earthquake.
Create an Emergency Communication Plan
- When an earthquake strikes, it’s important to know what you’re going to do. If you’re in your home, know the best evacuation route.
- If you are separated, have a location where you all will meet in case the earthquake is straight out of a Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson movie.
Having the right earthquake insurance will help cover you in case of any damage after the next unexpected quake. Contact the independent insurance professionals at Udell Family Insurance in Westlake Village, California for all of your earthquake coverage needs.