Are Internal Home Damages Covered by Standard Insurance Policies?

insect in home, home insurance and internal damages

What you need to know about your home insurance and internal damages.

As a homeowner, you probably expect your homeowners insurance to cover every type of damage your home may sustain.  However, this is unrealistic—all insurance policies have coverage conditions and limits, and your homeowners policy is no different.  For instance, when it comes to internal home damages, your policy will only provide coverage under certain circumstances.  Here’s what you need to know about your home insurance and internal damages.

  • Water Damage and Mold

Your home insurance may offer coverage for water damage depending on how the damage occurred.  For instance, if water damage is the result of an unforeseen issue, such as a burst pipe, then your policy will likely offer coverage.  Additionally, if water damage is caused by a faulty appliance, then your policy will probably cover the damage, but will not pay to repair or replace the appliance.  Water damage caused by neglect or gradual issues will not be covered by your insurance.  Water damage caused by sewer backup and floods is also excluded from coverage.

Insect and Rodent Infestations

If your home sustains damage due to an insect or rodent infestation, then your homeowners insurance will probably not offer coverage.  This is because infestations are considered a result of the homeowner’s negligence.  So, if your home or belongings are damaged by pests, then this cost will come out of your own pockets.

  • Broken Appliances

Your homeowners insurance will offer coverage for broken appliances if they were damaged during a covered peril, such as a storm or fire.  If an appliance breaks down due to lack of maintenance, then your insurance may cover damage to your property and belongings, but it will not cover the cost of repairing or replacing the faulty appliance.  Your home insurance will also not cover the cost of repairing or replacing appliances that breakdown due to mechanical failures.  This coverage can be secured through a home warranty instead.

This is what you need to know about home insurance and internal damages.  Do you have additional questions about your homeowners insurance coverage?  If so, then contact the experts at Udell Family Insurance.  We are ready to assist you with all your coverage needs today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Us contact us